Monday, March 31, 2008

Will I go to Hell or just be fat forever?

Or

Me and my neighbor decided that it was time to start running again, and our first mission was a 5k. I wake up Saturday morning about 15 minutes before I needed to be loaded up with two running strollers, two babies and my neighbor and niece. Needless to say we got a little bit of a late start. We put the peddle to the metal and hurried up to the start....only like 8 minutes late, and hurried and slammed our babies into their strollers and ran to what we thought was the beginning. Anyone who lives in Northern Utah would know that Saturday was not a pretty day. In fact, while we were loading up, the first of many SNOW (I know, what is the effing date?) anyway, it was not a great day to do anything but sit inside and watch the Saturday morning toons.

We saw an officer sitting in his car blocking the traffic and we asked him if the place we were was the starting line, he politely nodded (I am sure he was hiding his laughter at the three stupid, late girls and their sad infants who showed up late.) So we started running and suddenly the pack of on time runners were coming straight for us. They were also hiding their laughter and were too consumed with their running rhythm or the pumping beat of Justin Timberlake on their I-Pods that they never told us we were going the wrong way. After a few strides, we decided to finally stop someone and ask if this was the way they had started the race as well and low and behold, it was not. So what to do, keep running despite the fact that we couldn't feel our fingers anymore, the fact that Addison was bawling by then, and the fact that we had no idea where we were running to....or just join the pack? We chose the latter.
So the 5k turned into a .5k but still counts right? So does cheating on a run resort in Hell or just cellulite? I guess we will all see.

Of course, the best part was the giant breakfast that we enjoyed for our hard effort. Addi was awesome once we got their and began using my hash browns as confetti all over the restaurant! I love races!

10 comments:

Megann said...

Hey at least you tried, the closest I have ever come is thinking about it. And besides I think you are looking great, maybe start making the softball team run a couple miles a day then you can just do it with them.

The Weaver's said...

At least you attempted it! I would have looked out the window and just stayed in bed!
Yes, Ryker's big birthday bash was at the Rec center. We love having his parties there! And yes, he FINALLY defrosted from the Easter Egg Hunt! I am the worst Mom alive!

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, that sounds like quite a morning!But, as the others have said, at least you got up and tried! I have been thinking of running the Salt Lake 5K, maybe we should do that together!
I can't wait to see you this weekend!

Jen Gentry said...

Hey Mandy, I am glad that you found my blog. This whole blog world is crazy. Addy is so dang cute and big. She looks just like you.(not that I am saying you are big) I am also proud of you for attempting to run. I am so lazy that I think I will always be fat until I don't have little kids. I am hoping to make it to a softball game this year so hopefully I will see ya there.

Cynthia and Bryan said...

well it was .5 pushing a stroller so that counts for at least double right ?! A for Effort Im sure just thinking about it burns fat :). Yeah for Birthdays this month !! ALl our babies turning 1 ! Cannon, Addi, Knox, then Presley. FUN, FUN and a good excuse to eat some cake !!

Jennica said...

Live and learn. Being late and running the wrong direction is actually one of my worst fears. I want to do a triathlon this summer. Maybe if I just keep talking about it over and over and over again, I'll actually sign up and do it.

McKelle said...

Running a 5K? What made you think that was a good idea? Hey, I want to lose weight, but running sounds about as fun as this snow that refuses to stop coming (stop snowing damn it). Let's think of a better way to lose weight over some ice cream, and maybe some doughnuts...oh, and some chocolate. Have I mentioned that I love you?

Laura said...

You are amazing! You should be proud of yourself! I have been thinking of starting a running routine but I just can't bring myself to do it, I can think of so many excuses! The snow would have been a good excuse!

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Tee hee! I could just imagine you running the wrong direction! Remember when we got lost in Santa Barbara when we went on a run... or did we try to get lost on purpose so we would be left there? I miss my running partner, and I'm jealous of your new ones! They better not have crazy legs!!!

Shelly said...

It sounds like your breakfast was well deserved. I give you props cuz I would have definitely bagged it once I saw the bad weather. Any excuse not to run is good enough for me!! I have already given up on my running quest.....maybe I'll try again once the weather is better:)

p.s your daughter is way cute!!!